Friday, September 23, 2011

Italian Sausage and Peppers & Onions


September Recipe #1 Italian Sausage and Peppers & Onions


Ingredients:


3 Onions
3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Bell Peppers cut into strips
1 lb Italian sausage links
Salt and Pepper
Rolls or Italian Bread
Baking Sheet
Aluminium foil








Steps:

Preheat oven to 235 degrees.
Cut onions into half and then in strips.


Put the onions in a large skillet under medium heat with nothing on it. No olive oil or anything, cover, don't touch it for 5 whole minutes.
Remove cover, add the oil and stir. Cook for a minute or two longer.

Chop peppers into strips and then add peppers, salt and pepper.
Stir frequently until the vegetables are tender and soft (about 10 minutes).


Remove the veggies and place on a baking sheet lined with foil and place it in the preheated oven to keep warm.

Cook the sausage in the same pan over medium heat and poke holes in the sausage so the fat can escape.and cover for 7 minutes.

Turn the sausage frequently until browned.
Cook until desired doneness. Surest way to tell the sausage is done is to cut into the middle of one and if you don't see pink then it is done.
Dump the veggies back into the pan and stir for 2 minutes and serve on bread.

Finished Product:


I've never known how to make this dish. It's a sad fact. I'm Italian and I had no idea what to do. I have attempted it a couple of times to various results. This time I went with Mark Bittman's recipe. You can find this recipe on the iPhone app or in his cookbook, "How to Cook Everything" I can not recommend them enough. The only thing I would change is to cut the sausage into little pieces so there is more sausage distributed into each sandwich. The way I cooked it made it more of a hot dog type of meal. The onions and peppers were very fresh and were perfect. I added some spicy ketchup because that's how I do. I'm totally going to make this one again and again.

5 out of 5 Stars

Leftovers: I brought some into work and microwaved it in Tupperware and I dare say it's just as good as last night.

No comments: