Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sautéed Shrimp with Sherry and Chilies


My mission: To cook 5 recipes from Cooking Light Magazine each month. Clean out the dish washer, grab a knife and seriously clean out the dishwasher because it wasn't working properly. I pulled out a stray asparagus and I haven't had asparagus in weeks!


This is recipe 5 of 5 for the month:



I don't cook seafood all that often. I should but I don't. Part of the reason is that I just dont know the difference between cooked and cooked to death so I was excited for this one. The recipe called for poblano chilies but I don't live near whole foods or any other market that knows what that is so I purchased these guys:



Now, I have no clue what these are called. When I was buying them I asked someone what the name of these peppers were and they couldn't tell me. All I knew was that they were peppers and I was assuming they were hot. So I chopped up three of these suckers and even though they didn't come close to a cup of peppers I figured this was enough. NOTE: I should have just googled the poblano chilies because I'm pretty sure my market has them although their signage told me otherwise.

I dump the chilies and the shallots into a large pan (I should have just used my wok. Woks are much cooler to use for dishes like this) and let it cook in the oil for a few minutes then I added the shrimp and paprika. I didn't measure this part because it's paprika and who cares? I'm not going to sit there and measure 2 teaspoons of paprika like a nerd. I just used enough to get on all the shrimps (NOTE: Since I had no date tonight I used half the desired amount of shrimp. I figure shrimp isn't that great reheated for lunch tomorrow). 

After the shrimp are cooking in there for a good 5 minutes I transfer everything to a dish and get started on the sauce. I dump the sherry and OJ in the same pan wait for it to boil then add the butter and oregano. Wait for the butter to melt then slide the shrimp back in there.

I served this dish with Goyas' black beans and rice and a beer.



Verdict: Spicy! Holy hell those chilies were intense! Other than that it was great! The sauce had a lot of heat but it wasn't overpowering. The shrimp were cooked well and the taste of shrimp wasn't hidden by the rich sauce. I'd make this one again with the right chilies.



No comments: