Sunday, May 22, 2011

Coconut French Toast with Grilled Pineapple


My mission: To cook 5 recipes from Cooking Light Magazine each month. Preheat the oven, get out the Pam and make some coffee because we're making some french toast!


This is recipe 1 of 5 for the month:


I don't normally cook breakfast. I don't know the correct way to break an egg or even cook an egg. I usually end up burning them so the idea of french toast appeals to me since it requires a bit of burning. I substituted the sugar for Spleda because 1/4 of a cup of sugar makes me feel like I'm going to become a diabetic right after breakfast.  The recipe calls for you to mix everything together in a shallow dish but that seems insane since you have to stir everything together and that sounds like it can get messy. I put everything in a bowl and then transferred it to a dish although looking back I could have just left everything in the bowl and dipped the bread in there. 

Grilling the pineapple was fun. I didn't have a clean grill pan so I just used a regular pan and it worked out fine. There's really nothing to it. 

Finished Product: Fantastic! However, I feel a lot of the credit should go to the bread. I picked up a french loaf of bread in the morning and it's just so light and fluffy. It was perfect. The pineapple added some sweetness to the french toast that I rather enjoyed. I actually didn't even bother using maple syrup because the pineapple was just the right amount of sweet. If you don't like pineapple I'd recommend using some syrup but you would be missing out. The coconut at the end was another little twist that ensures I will make this one again and again. Everyone should try this one next weekend. 


No comments: