Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes

My mission: To cook 5 recipes from Cooking Light Magazine each month. 


This is recipe 4 of 5 for the month. However, I should reexamine when I start these posts so they line up with the first of the month:

Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joes


What you need:



  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 12 ounces ground sirloin
  • 1 package presliced cremini mushrooms
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can of tomato paste
2 pinches of cumin
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

I love sloppy joes! I haven't had a sloppy joe since I was 15 when my mom made a sloppy joe from the Manwich can. It's just how I grew up. This recipe took me back to all those happy childhood memories and yet made me feel good because it is slightly healthier from what I remember. 

I heated a skillet and tossed in some ground sirloin. As the meat browned I put in some cumin powder. I love cumin and since this isn't my mother's recipe I might as well put my stamp on this one. Cooking Light has a slightly different recipe. Check it out here. As the beef browns add the mushrooms, onion and garlic for a few minutes. I added a whole can of tomato paste instead of the "half a cup" the Cooking Light recipe says. It might be the same thing, but I'm not gonna measure tomato paste like a jerk. Once you add the tomato paste add the rest of the recipe except for the hot sauce. The molasses is the key ingredient here. As soon as I added it to the pan it felt like all I did was open up a Manwich can. It makes the whole dish. Once everything is mixed in together add the hot sauce and serve. It's that simple. 

Finished Product: 
Felt like I was back on Greencroft Avenue waiting for my mom to tell me dinner is served. The consistency is just like a manwich yet the mushrooms add more texture than I'm used to and I liked it.  I made a lot of this dish so I had some of it for dinner the night after and it heats up great. I'd make this again for sure. Maybe next time I will try to use lean turkey meat to cut down on the calories. 

4 out of 5 stars

No comments: