Saturday, June 2, 2012

156: No-Han

The Mets have played 8,019 games without throwing a no-hitter. Tonight Johan Santana willed his way to the franchises first and I got to see it all from start to finish.

Originally the interest of this game was Carlos Beltrans first game back in Queens since being traded away last season. That narrative quickly changed. I've been aware of the Mets lack of a no hitter for quite some tile. I've watched in the stands as John Maine and Al Leiter flirted with the idea. Never coming within 3 outs of it. I resigned myself to the fact that the Mets would never throw a no-no. It was just part of our charm. That elusive dream forever beyond our reach.

It took Johan Santana 134 pitches to complete our first no-hitter. 134. That's am impossible number for a player coming off of shoulder surgery.

I always dreamed of this day and now that it's here I'm paralyzed. I have no idea how to act or feel. It is only one game. One W in a 162 game season but somehow it all feels different. We exercised a century old demon. We can do anything. This team can do anything.

It was a good day.

No comments: