Monday, January 30, 2012

Pasta with Pesto Genovese

January 2012 Recipe #5


Ingredients
1 serving of pasta noodles
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • Half cup of Olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Half cup of Pecorino Romano Cheese
  • 3 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
  • 3 tablespoons Pine Nuts
  • I had this dish made perfectly and then I fucked it up. Let me explain:
 Steps:


Wash basil and pulse in food processor until just torn. This is my first time using my pretty new food processor.

 Add garlic, salt, grated cheeses and a quarter cup of olive oil. Chop until pesto looks pestoy and garlic is chopped.



Add more oil with the pine nuts and pulse a few times.


Finished Product:

 Look how god damn good that pesto looks up there. It's beautiful. Sexy even. And what do I do? I went and messed it all up. I turned the above into this:

Ya see, I boiled my pasta and I was all set to drain the water when I remembered what all these chefs say about retaining a cup of the pasta water. So I added a cup of the pasta water to the pesto sauce and it turned into this watery mess.

You live and you learn. I learned that a cup of pasta water is too damn much for two portions of pesto. Also, I have no idea how much pesto to put on my plate. I never order the pesto. I usually go with penne ala vodka of Bolognese sauce. But next time? (Oh, there will be a next time) I'm gonna crush it. 

3 out of 5 Stars


No comments: