Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pork Tenderloin Medallions and Balsamic Reduction

My mission: To cook 5 recipes from Cooking Light Magazine each month. 


This is recipe 1 of 5 for the month of July.



Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallots
  • garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • (1-pound) pork tenderloin, cut into 12 slices




Check out the recipe over at Cooking Light over here
I couldn't find pork tenderloin so I just bought some pork chops instead. How different could it possibly be? After you add the shallots and garlic let it cook for two minutes and then add my favorite ingredient: Balsamic vinegar. It's just so darn versatile. Toss in the rosemary and the sugar and reduce until it looks thick. Cooking Light says a half a cup but I don't really know what that looks like so I just keep cooking until it tastes great. 





After that you are pretty much done. Heat a pan and cook the pork. The recipe says 2 minutes on each side but I disagree. Just cook it until it's done. Mine took 5 minutes on each side and then I dumped in the balsamic vinegar reduction and cooked it for a couple of minutes. 




Finished Product:


Tastes great. Pork was cooked just the way I like it and the balsamic vinegar coating was delicious. I made a bed of Trader Joe's fried rice (because I'm lazy) with a little bit of light soy sauce. The mixture of the soy sauce and the vinegar was very tasty. I might add that into the recipe next time. 


4 out of 5 stars


Leftovers: I made enough for left overs so I brought them into work the next day and the dish holds up after being reheated in a microwave. 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Looks good Kris! Nicely done!