Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gingerade

August Recipe #2: Gingerade



Ingredients

7-10 Lemons
2 limes
3/4 cup of Sugar
3 inches of Ginger root
2 cups of water
1 Bottle of San Peregrino Sparkling Water
1 Hammer
 






Steps:

1) Cut ginger in half
   a. Peel and finely slice one in half
   b. hammer the other half. Do not peel.
2) Bring hammered ginger, 2 cups water and half cup of sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. 
3) Cover and remove simple syrup from heat.
4) Juice lemons and 1 and a half limes.
5) Add sliced ginger to lemon/lime juice.
6) Add simple syrup to juice mixture.
7) Top with sparkling water.
8) Put in fridge for 30 minutes before enjoying.
 

Finished Product:



This recipe is pretty involved. We're talking about a recipe that involves a hammer, people! Actually, the simple syrup is the more involved part of it. However, once you discard the ginger root from the syrup it's pretty easy. My friend Malena makes this all the time and I just needed to taste it for myself. The result is a wonderful blend of ginger ale and lemonade. Plus, it just feels healthy. The old man at the bodega down the street tells me he drinks ginger every single day and hasn't been sick since Reagan was President. He tells me this every single time I buy ginger from him. And you know what? I totally believe him.

4 out of 5 Stars

Leftovers: I was dreaming of this drink on the train home. It's delicious the day after. 

No comments: